Monday, September 28, 2009

Great Teachers

Jill and I are great teachers. We know that and some of you know that.

A couple of days ago I taught two classes at Knitter's Day Out in Central PA. I taught a three-hour class I call Whoops!, which focuses on fixing mistakes. We cover everything from dropped stitches to fixing stitch pattern errors, including dropping down several stitches several rows. It's fun because the knitters get to make mistakes and have support while they learn to fix them. Most of the class were fairly experienced knitters with varying degrees of confidence on this topic. After class, several students went out of their way to tell me how helpful the class was to them and to tell me what a great teacher I am.

After a quick lunch, I taught Short Row Shoulders and Sleeve Caps for three hours. Again, the class was full of competent, experienced knitters ready to tackle one of the more complex techniques in knitting. We knitted, wrapped and picked up wraps, creating beautiful sloped shoulders and sleeve caps. No visible wraps or holes. One woman said, "This morning I took a short row class. After taking your class I know how to work short rows and I understand what I am doing." Another said, "I love the way you teach and it was clear you knew your topic because you never read to us from the handout, you just taught us." (thanks to Jill for the great handout and charts)

Back at the Y2Knit booth after class, several students came to me to tell me how helpful they found the class. A couple want to bring their knitting group to the shop for a class, which I look forward to teaching.

I love these opportunities to teach--at small conferences like KDO, at other yarn shops, at the Y2Knit yarn shop--wherever I can. For me, I hope to help knitters get over whatever keeps them from progressing with a technique. I want to open doors for them. I also love the aspects of working with women to build confidence in this small part of their life. I hope to inspire creativity and ways of being with our knitting and life.

For those of you who couldn't take the classes at KDO, I offer lots of classes at the shop. I'll teach whatever knitting class you want. I know my stuff and more importantly, I am a great teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.