Friday, March 23, 2007

Home from China

I arrived back in the US from China yesterday and home to Funkstown today. You can see my finished vacation project on the Lacy Cabled Scoop blog. I also got 1.5 socks done.

It was so fun to see women knitting in China, which enhanced a feeling of connection to people I did not know. Knitting is so cool that way.

The one non-sweater project I saw being created were these slippers. The women who created these were at a shopping area at the foot of the walk up the mountain to the "Ghost Shrine" on the Yangtze. I love the decorative increase!

On our last day in Shanghai, we were at a market and it seemed all the women were knitting, at least the ones who weren't chatting on their cell phones. All projects we see are from the bottom up circular sweaters knit on long dpns.

When we went downtown in Shanghai in the afternoon, Rose spotted yarn at the back of a shop. It was all wool and cashmere, mostly fine gauge. I bought this set of dpns as they were like the ones I saw the women using. Cost=$5, length=14". The 100 g ball of yarn, a nice wool, was $2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.