Monday, May 2, 2011

Copywriting

My mother has always envied my ability to write at the keyboard. I learned to do this at my first job as a legal secretary in a busy office in a small-ish county prosecutor's office (criminal division). I could compose draft letters and legal documents for my bosses based on previous similar document and, over time, from scratch. I'm a good writer, but I think I am probably a better editor.

But for the last several years I've been trying to describe my patterns (in 75 words or less--and if you read this blog you are probably aware that I don't get to the point that quickly). Frankly, I am not good at it. I have other language to describe my actual facility, but I'm not going to use it here because at some future date I might be embarrassed by my bad language.

A couple of weeks ago we recruited a copywriter to write copy for us. It is amazing what a real wordsmith can do! At least I know that I was correct that I'm not good at doing it and that it can in fact be done in an interesting and compelling way if you know what you're doing. Sarah is a knitter too. She actually reads my patterns!

So we're all good at various things. When you are a small business person you often do things you aren't really meant to do because it is cheaper than paying someone who is qualified to do it. Long story short: not always the right choice!

Look forward to fabulous text on the reformatted patterns, on the web and wherever else we can put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.