Friday, May 4, 2007

More Hats



I started to post about my hats, then got distracted by my new yarn. These are the projects I've been working on while my life has been too disrupted with remodeling to really concentrate on bigger things. Called the Cinchero Hat, this is adapted from an article (monograph?) done by a cultural anthropologist on a hat made in southern Peru. I loved the whole concept--documenting a skill that is being lost as the elders die--but the original is way too much work, so I adapted it to better suit the American knitter.

There
are very cool techniques in the bottom scallop: knitting a two-color chain and knitting backwards. Once you learn how to do both of them it it is really fun to do and a touch you don't usually see. I love the techniques so will probably do an online tutorial when I find the time. My hats are done from Malabrigo worsted in two colors (sealing wax is the red, I don't know what the other one is because Susan had already wound it into a ball and I didn't get the ball band). From the two skeins I got from Susan I've knit two hats plus class samples, and I still have yarn left. I'm going to scrounge some more scraps and I hope to get one more hat to make for a friend--she has lots of hair so I need to make a larger size than either of my other samples. If you've not tried this yarn it is wonderfully soft and the colors are too wonderful to describe--solid, but with constant variations from the kettle-dyeing. Malabrigo is from Uruguay. I've also done the hat in Karaoke for Southwest Trading and the pattern is also in their Karaoke Hat Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.