Monday, February 7, 2011

Posting what I'm doing



I'm working on top-secret stuff and it is hard to get out of that mode to post what I'm doing. I am quite intrigued that anyone cares what I do all day, or that what I do would be remotely interesting. That said, I must admit that I go to City Arts and Lectures, and haveas long as I have lived in cities that have them, because I am curious how creative people get from a creative urge to being successful. I became familiar with the man who has best described what reading fiction is at a panel of young-ish writers (boy were they all awkward), probably in the 90s. David Foster Wallace said he read fiction because it allowed him to crawl over a fence of intimacy that one couldn't ask even the people closest to them to open to another person. That's why I read--to know other perspectives. I am so grateful that people are willing to sit and write and explain to me how other people exist in the world. So maybe that's why people want to read blogs. I'm almost finished with this one.
I listen to books when I am knitting, ironing, drawing, and some
times cooking. It uses a piece of my brain that isn't used during those activities which otherwise gets bored and makes me look for other things to do. I've "read" some great books this way. Because I am always knitting, or trying to keep up with other reading, I don't get to read fiction the way I used to, so I really like this back-up method. While on vacation in December/January, I got to read a couple of books pretty much cover to cover which was a fabulous luxury, but also got to sit at the pool knitting and reading.

Okay, time to find shoes and pack my bag to go to Pilates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.