Wednesday, January 31, 2007

SWTC Tofutsies Yarn Review - It doesn't smell like Old Bay


I'm knitting socks with a new yarn (new for me al least) from SWTC called Tofutsies (toe-foot-sies). Isn't the colorway fantastic?
I'm using Wendy's Generic Toe-Up Pattern (my favorite) with 64 stitches on size US#0/2mm metal needles. This is now my standard pattern because it fits me so well.
But the Tofutsies yarn is very thin and after working with Cherry Tree Hill, Fleece Artist and Claudia Hand Paints I can really notice a big difference. I'm getting 10 stitches and 14 rows to the inch as opposed to my usual 8 and 12 and the sock is knitting up narrow. It does, however, still fit my foot so I think I will soldier on to the heel and do a fitting before deciding whether it's ok or whether I need to frog it and go up to 68 stitches.


It's 50% superwash wool, 25% soysilk fibers, 22.5% cotton, and 2.5% chitin. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Chesapeake Bay area, Old Bay Seasoning is used on shrimp, crabs, and all kinds of foods around here. When I picked this yarn up at Y2Knit and Susan told me what was in it, I really expected it to smell like Old Bay. Perhaps the color has something to do with it since it is such a pretty shrimpy color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.