Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Fools

What a weird day yesterday was. My husband sent me flowers. I am pretty certain this has occurred only once before. He knows I'm overworked and over tired so it was really sweet.

As I ran down the stairs to answer the front door (I work on the european 2nd floor of our house) and came around the corner to where I can see the front door I was struck by the wild colors the person at the door was wearing. I was expecting a delivery person although I couldn't remember that I was expecting anything. So I was, quite literally, momentarily speechless when I opened the door to a young man holding a vase of tropical flowers. I knew it came from Mitch and I knew exactly what he'd said to the florist (after 27 years, of course I do!). The card said "just because".

I was also almost hit by a car while running yesterday. It was perhaps the closest to a full hit I've ever had. This isn't completely uncommon, although I think it happens more when I'm walking than when I'm running. I want to say that the driver was horrified that she hadn't been paying enough attention, and instead of cursing me out (usual response) she apologized and rolled down her window so I could yell at her (which I didn't, because since she apologized, I didn't need to). She said she understood that I was angry and I had every right to be. My response, and hopefully someone else will also hear this: Please. Start paying attention.

My top speed is probably a 10 minute mile which is 6 miles an hour. It takes me about 5 seconds to run across a 2 lane street (probably really 3 seconds). You are in a car. You are going to get where you are going fairly quickly--maybe not as quickly as you'd like, but quick enough. If you hit a pedestrian, you are going to be slowed down. A lot. Think about it. And pay a little attention to the world they are speeding through and just, really stop at a stop sign. I was in a marked crosswalk, next to a park so any driver should be looking for pedestrians. I follow the rules because I am afraid of cars not seeing me. But I can't make you look. You need to do that.
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.