Friday, April 29, 2011

ReNaming Patterns

We are reaching the end of part A of a pattern reformatting process here at Y2Knit. We started in February and are just finishing the actual process of moving the patterns into the new format. My assistant Kristen has done an incredible job, probably reformatting about 45 of the 51 patterns in this first round. I can tell by the way she clicks the mouse when she is reformatting. She enjoyed the process at the beginning. I think we are probably all a little tired of it right now. I've had other helpers who do checking and cataloging for me while I try to make everything pretty and hopefully consistent.

Some patterns have required new schematics or charts and again, Kristen has done much of the work. I am fortunate to have someone working for me who can do so many pieces of the process.

Another part of the process has been renaming many of the patterns. I don't often have a huge name connection to my designs (I didn't name dolls and toys either), so they often just get named after the stitch pattern or shape and our Marketing Consultant thought we should do better than that.

After a lot of fits and starts we decided to use travel/geographically related names. So I have had a lot of fun (and some frustration) finding names that met our MC's other criteria (not hard to pronounce or spell and NO Italian words). I've learned a lot of things in my quests. I do most of my research online because I can do it at my desk. I am sure I could do better if I had time to go to the library, but this is not something that you can do in bulk. I often have to do several separate searches to find what I think will work because I have to find what I originally thought of and then work off tangents from there. I have learned a lot of things I didn't have any reason to know and probably have no use for but I've enjoyed much of the search.

This process has made me much more conscious of naming my designs--at the beginning!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.