Thursday, April 8, 2010

Today's post will be photoless until the battery recharges on my camera. I guess I also need to get in the habit of regularly recharging that. I am often caught with a dead battery on my cell phone because I don't use it except to let Mitch know I'm on my way home, or occasionally to ask a questions of him when I'm out, or call my mother to let her know I'm running late, so it just doesn't get used much. It is, at this point, probably four or five years old--maybe even older than that. We got the same phone whenever we bought them, and at some point I dropped mine and it lost a button which made it difficult to use some of the features, but I didn't use them, so it didn't really matter. Last year Mitch got a new phone and took my phone number chip out of my phone and put it into his phone so I could have all my buttons. I have since learned to use that button to find missed call numbers, but that and accessing my recently called numbers are all I do. Mitch frequently calls in and deletes messages for me. So, long and short, I have no habit for recharging things--and this camera seems to go through a charge fairly quickly.

I was all jazzed about a new-to-me yarn from Schaefer Yarns called Audrey. What got me going on this yarn was her Memorable Writers colors. Not that the Memorable Women colorways aren't fabulous, but I just loved the idea of pairing a knitting project with a reading project!

I'd been rolling a cardigan concept in my head for months, maybe years, but it was actually quite simple and needed the right yarn. So when I saw Audrey, I knew it was a match made for knitting. Cheryl Schaefer graciously agreed to provide yarn, and while waiting for the undyed product to arrive at her studio, sent me a bit to swatch so I could finish my pattern while I wait. This yarn bit arrived in yesterday's mail and before I left for Pilates I cast on so when I got home I could knit as soon as I had a minute. So I have about 5" to show off, but no camera!

BTW, the yardage on this yarn is awesome--700 yards to 4 ounces. Fingering weight, silk and merino single-ply. Swatching on size 4(3.5mm) needles and getting about 6.25 sts/in. The ball band suggests 8 sts/in on size 1, but this is a cardigan, and I want it to be slightly open, so 6.25 is great.

I feel a bit disloyal as I have not touched my Sea Shell knitting since Monday. I got distracted by my swatch to test out my lace trim on Tuesday (which I haven't finished either) and then by Audrey yesterday. Tonight I go see my favorite musician, Bill Frisell so I won't get much knitting done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Store: 100 E. Baltimore Street Mail: PO Box 480 Funkstown, MD 21734
Phone: 301.766.4543 Fax: 301.766.9276
info@Y2Knit.net
Copyright 2011 Y2Knit. All rights reserved.